What is general education:
What is General Education? The word education finds its origins in Latin, specifically from the Latin word education. It was originally meant to raise and to create. But we can focus on the meaning of education only. It is the source of promoting development of the intellect and transmitting knowledge.
It turns the learner indulge into an active subject during the process. At this point, education differs from teaching. Since one consists of an active process for the educated. In which learning is achieved, and the other results in a passive development of the subject.
General education is considered of great importance in all societies. It is very common for a person to receive it intensely in middle years of his life. It does not mean that he cannot be educated throughout his whole life. It is a process by which basic concepts are learned and is generally taught in school and family settings.
General education is a set of subjects through which you will receive comprehensive training in a wide variety of disciplines. General education courses are often introductory. They are designed to provide you with foundational knowledge education through subjects. The subjects include English, Mathematics, Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Physical and Biological sciences.
As a lower division (freshman / sophomore) student at community education. You will need to complete most of the General education courses required to receive a bachelor’s degree. After transferring to the upper-division (junior / senior year [junior/senior]) at a university. You will be required to take only a few general education subjects so that you can focus on your career.
Characteristics of general education:
General education is characterized by being:
- A right of every person.
- A social process, that is, outside the social sphere, no one can acquire education.
- An ongoing instructional process.
- A discipline that transmits the values and accumulated knowledge of a society.
- A guide in the learning process that stimulates the development of skills and affects a student’s behavior.
- Formal, informal, face-to-face, or remotely, among other ways.
- Former of the student’s attitude.
- An instrument of subsistence of the human being, from the social, emotional, and labor aspects.
What is the Purpose of general education?
General education provides students with extensive exposure. It is the source to learn new things and apply them in daily routine matters. This type of education lays the foundation for people to prosper and adopt successful behaviors.
General education system:
So, what is general education and its system? In the General Education System, everything related to the development of General Studies is planned and organized. It may also include, Humanities, National Reality Seminars, and Theatres.
Students can go to the offices and request for information related to the courses and the respective teachers.
Why is general education important to your growth as a student?
Education refers to the process of learning and socialization that human beings carry out throughout their lives.
In this sense, education is a fundamental factor both for people and for society in general. On the one hand, because it determines behaviors.
This leads to highlighting the importance of education in all senses. It implements public policies that seek its access. Since a society made up of literate and educated citizens can ensure a better economic, political, social, and cultural future.
Likewise, education has tried to adapt to new technological advances. That have made it possible to create new tools and study methods to make it an interactive, practical, and even self-learning process.
Technology has been key in this development. Because it has enabled access to information, cultural exchange, among others. Technology has made education a more efficient process.
At present, the quality is valued more than the quantity of knowledge. The importance of education is such that national and international organizations establish work agendas. In which the various aspects related to this issue are addressed. It is to seek and improve the foundations of education and its social impact.
In other words, education needs to offer the right tools and mechanisms for people to learn, to do, to live in society. Also to be able to demand more of themselves, being aware of their capacities and limitations.
Within the framework of education, various objectives have been proposed. They may vary depending on the approach under which they are determined.
Here are some of the most important goals and point wise description of what is general education:
- Ensure the comprehensive training of individuals.
- Encourage logical and critical reasoning from an early age.
- Promote research in all areas of human development.
- Encourage creativity and other skills that each person has, for example, artistic or sports.
- Ensure the formulation of policies that emphasize the need for access to education for all citizens equally.
- Promote inclusion.
- Encourage communication, the exchange of opinions and ideas, and the use of various communication channels.
- Educate in family, social, human, ethical, and moral values, among others.
- Strengthen social and cultural integration.
- Promote the correct use and application of new technologies.
- Address the inequalities or deficiencies that students may present. For example, psychological, family, nutritional, among others.
- Ensure better and greater opportunities for employment and individual development.
- Consolidate cultural identity.
- Ensure sustainable development that guarantees the permanence of natural resources and care for the environment.
Read more Articles: