DPT stands for Doctor of Physical Therapy. It is a treatment given to relieve physical pain or any muscular or bone disorder. This therapy relies on the individual’s medical history and physical examination to reach a diagnosis. Therefore, the diagnosis helps them create a management plan. Additionally, they can incorporate the results of laboratory and imaging studies such as X-rays, CT scans, or MRI findings. This article arranges the DPT scope in Pakistan.
Introduction to Physical Therapy
Physical therapy has been the best treatment for physical pain. It has worked more wonders than pain relievers. Furthermore, it has improved human daily function and mobility as well. The first response most people have when they are in pain is to see a doctor. Interestingly, most of them do not even consider a chiropractor, probably because they ignore that office. Doctor of Physical Therapy is recognised as a physiotherapist in various regions of the world, including Australia, Canada, and Europe. While physical therapy itself is the name of the profession in the United States.
Nature of Work as a Physiotherapist
Physiotherapists design plans that address their patients’ physical pain or other relevant treatment. These programs, which most often involve exercises, aim to bring the person to the point of balance and physical strength.
Physiotherapy involves certain activities. Those activities include prescription or assistance with chosen exercises, manual therapy, and manipulation. The idea of physical therapy is to help people prevent loss of mobility before it occurs. They do this by developing programs geared towards wellness and physical well-being. That aim for people’s healthier and more active lifestyles. Physiotherapy is a professional career that has many branches. Individuals in sports will be forever grateful to physical therapists for the role they play.
Physiotherapists are involved in the medico-legal field, acting as experts, conducting peer reviews and independent medical examinations. As you can see, physical therapists play a key role in the general health sector. Physical therapists also serve in non-patient care roles such as health policies, health insurance, administration, and health care executives.
Become a DPT in Pakistan
Becoming a physical therapist is a five-year degree program. After doing intermediate, FSC in pre-medical, one can get enrol in DPT program for their bachelor’s. The following steps reveal how anyone can become a physical therapist. These steps include;
Step 1: Get a Bachelor’s Degree in a Health-Related Field
Before you can enrol in a doctoral program in physical therapy, you must meet certain prerequisites. One of them involves completing a bachelor’s program with a large dose of the following courses:
- Physical Therapy
We advise you to check with the best program you plan to enrol in for specific prerequisites.
Step 2: Complete a doctoral program in physical therapy
- Applied Physiotherapy
- Functional anatomy
- Complex conditions
- Lifespan development
Career Prerequisites for DPT Local & Abroad
In Pakistan, one can enter a career after completing DPT, a five-year degree. However, if one is willing to move abroad, the following things are mandatory, especially for the US.
If the physical therapist is not a US citizen, there are a few requirements:
- An employer-sponsored visa is required to work in the US. Workers cannot apply for their own work visas. The employer manages the visa for the worker.
- HCWC – Health Care Worker Certificate
- Education evaluation and any necessary courses. The baseline education for a physical therapist in the US is a DPT – Doctor of Physical Therapy. Foreigners must show that their education is equivalent to a US DPT degree. Some of the required courses are available online.
- Pass the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE)
- Apply for a state physical therapy license in the state where your job is located.
Skills Excelled by DPT
After completing a DPT program in Pakistan, the student will enjoy a massive scope. Physical therapy examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, intervention, preventative activities, wellness initiatives, and optimal health care utilisation are some of the skills of a DPT professional.
Professional Scope of DPT
- Act as primary providers of Physical therapy care
- Work as autonomous practitioners.
- Serve as responsible members of the professional community and are willing and able to assume leadership roles in the communities they serve.
- Exhibit Life-long learning and a commitment to professional development.
- Equipped with principles of evidence-based practice, knowledge and understanding of research methodology.
Career Prospects after DPT
After completing the Doctor in Physical Therapy degree, one can enjoy the following DPT scope in Pakistan.
- Work in any corporation for employee health, fitness, and wellness.
- Work in the Armed Forces at some levels
- Work in Special Schools for disabled students
- Work in Normal Schools for student counselling
Job Areas as a DPT Professional
- Occupational Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Speech Language Pathologist
DPT scope in Pakistan is great when it is chosen as a profession. The doctor of physiotherapy is also an important figure who serves people and enables them to walk, move and live healthy lives. No profession is lesser than the other, but aiming to provide your services to others should be your life’s ambition. In addition, the opportunities on land and abroad are numerous.