Training & Staff Development Institute
The Training & Staff Development Institute is established with the following Vision and Objectives.
A forum for teacher training and staff development that aims at:
- Individual professional competence
- Collective, uniform institutional excellence
The Training & Staff Development Institute stands for the accomplishment of the following objectives:
- Conduct Need-based and Problem-focused Pedagogical Training
- Subject-specific Orientation of Teachers
- Introduction and Familiarization of PGC System
MODE OF TRAINING
The Teacher Training Programs are regularly conducted in the following modes. These sessions could be Workshops, Seminars, Lecture-Discussion Sessions, etc.
- Pre-Service Training Programs for Short-Listed Candidates
- Training Programs for Franchised College Teachers
- Teacher Training Workshops all over Punjab
- Continuous Professional Training
CONTENTS OF TRAINING
All the training sessions are conducted in congenial and collegial environment. The main focus of all training programs is on enhancing professional skilfulness of teachers to the cutting edge. The following domains are covered.
- Teaching Methodology
- Understanding College System
- General Introduction and Familiarization of the PGC System
- Vision of the Chairman
- Punjab Group of Colleges System
- College Administration
- Teaching Methodology
There is a series of lectures on teaching techniques covering almost all areas of college teaching, such as:
- Philosophy of Education
- Classroom Psychology
- Teaching as a Profession
- Lesson Planning
- Methods of Teaching
- Classroom Discipline
- Testing and Grading
- Subject Orientation
This part of the training is subject-specific in which a potential teacher has to go through a series of intimate sessions with a Subject Specialist during training sessions. Presumably, a potential teacher, a fresh university graduate, has ample academic knowledge of the subject. But teaching of that subject has its own unique dynamics and a beginner needs a guided orientation under the supervision of a specialist.
This part of the training is strictly focused and conducted within the subject parameters. In the first part the expert delineates the techniques of teaching for that subject. Then the candidate is assigned certain topics to plan for in-house presentations under the supervision of the specialist. These presentations constitute a formal part of the training. The experts observe and give their opinion to the trainee. This session could also be attended by the Principals or the senior faculty members. The epitome of this training is an adventure in self-discovery by the teachers and finding their inherent potentials.
It covers areas of administration in a college system, such as:
- Concept and Philosophy of College Administration
- The Hierarchy of a College Administration
- The Departmental and Inter-Departmental Functioning of a College
- What Makes or Breaks a College System,
The above outline is a general part of the training but for incumbent PGC administrative staff it has an added component of existing PGC administration set-up, as delineated in the PGC Manual.
The Institute conducts teacher-training focusing on the following areas:
- Pre-service Teacher-Training
A prospective teacher may have academic knowledge but he may not have adequate training in teaching skills to complement that knowledge. Training of such an individual is essential to acquaint him with the new teaching techniques and the dynamics of college classroom culture. In other words, training is:
- Highlighting the Socio-Economic Significance of Teaching as Profession
- Developing New Skills by Going Through Formal Training Regimen
- Orienting New Entrants to the PGC System.
It consists of a short course of four weeks, specifically designed for fresh university Master Degree holders (having 16 years Education) who have opted teaching as profession. The Training Schedule is publicized in the leading Dailies. At the completion of this course the candidates are given Certificates. They may join Punjab Group of College System, provided there is a vacancy available at that time.
- In-service Teachers Training
It is for the incumbent PGC teaching staff, in Lahore and in all Campuses in Punjab, including Franchised Colleges. It is conducted during Vacation.
All teachers who are performing satisfactorily still need sharpening of teaching skills. In case the performance of a serving teacher is consistently lack-lustre, it becomes essential to go for training.